Many mechanical seals use water for cooling, lubrication and to keep seal faces clean. Most of the time this water is not monitored or controlled, wasting hundreds of thousands of gallons of water a year.
By placing an EcoFlow on the seal water outlet of your mechanical seal it will continuously control the seal water temperature. If the seal water should exceed your specified factory set point it will modulate open discharging the hot water, displacing it with cool water. This cooler water will cause the EcoFlow to modulate closed. This cycle will continue to occur as long as excessive heat is being transferred to the seal water causing the water temperature to exceed its factory set point.
This is achieved through the use of our Thermoloid® technology. Our EcoFlow contains a highly reliable, repeatable phase change actuator which is temperature sensitive and will open and close the valve depending on the temperature it is sensing.
- Drastically decreases seal water consumption.
- Water savings and associated dollar savings.
- Initial upfront water savings.
- Less water = less waste water treatment
- Less waste water treatment = less extraction = energy and dollar savings.
- No need to turn off water
- Eliminates unnecessary dry runs due to the operator forgetting to turn on the water.
- EcoFlow needs no attention when pump shuts off
- Avoid dry running the seals and ensuring an optimum seal environment increases seal life. Mechanical Seal failures are the leading cause for pump downtime.
- Ability to use a mechanical seal where you could not before.
- Low Cost
- Temperature response is unaffected by pressure variations.
- 100% mechanical/self-operating, no outside power source of any kind.
- Corrosion resistant, long service life
- Ram-type plug for tight, reliable shutoff
- Ease of installation
- New projects or easy to retrofit.
- Narrow temperature band
Water Savings Example
To illustrate the water savings that can be realized with EcoFlow, we’ve used a typical seal manufacturer’s recommendations of 2.6GPM to be used to flush the seals versus EcoFlow’s ~0.05GPM, operating 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (2080 hours per year).
MFR Recommended flow: 2080 hours x 2.6GPM = 324,480 gallons of water per year.
EcoFlow: 2080 hours x 0.05GPM = 6,240 gallons of water per year.
In our calculation, EcoFlow can save ~318,000 gallons of water per year
Case Study from a Major US Sugar Producer
A major US sugar producer has several hundred pumps throughout the plant using mechanical seals which require a water supply to cool and flush it. This water is usually either returned to a seal water tank or dumped to drain. Any water that ends up on the floor or in a drain finds its way back to process and must be evaporated (large cost) or sent to waste water (even larger cost). Any unnecessary water flow that can be cut from the recirculating systems is beneficial.
A pleasant side effect of this valve is the ability to leave the feed water on even while the pump is not running. It eliminates any possibility of starting the seal dry by our process people forgetting the turn on the water. That alone will save us several seals a year.
We could not use a seal before because we could not allow more than a couple gallons an hour of water to the drain. Your valve dramatically decreases the water usage and as a result reduces the amount we send to drain.