ThermOmegaTech® offers a rebuild program for the self-actuating GURU® plugs that protect thousands of locomotives from freeze damage every year. Our rebuild program allows you to return your old GURU® plugs to be cleaned, refurbished, and retested so you essentially get back a brand new valve.
Recommendations on Maintenance
ThermOmegaTech® recommends changing the GURU® Plug every 18-24 months. The characteristic tendency of the GURU® Plug actuator is to lose some small amount of stroke as it ages beyond one year. This causes the release temperature to creep upward, as well as the manual reset temperature. While this is a “safe” tendency as far as freeze protection, eventually the upward creep can cause nuisance dumping.
How the Program Works
- Valves are returned with a purchase order to our facility
- All components are scrapped except cartridge body and hex nut
- New thermal actuator and components are assembled into the cartridge
- Cartridge is 100% tested and inspected
- Hex Nut is assembled and inspected
- Cartridge is inserted into the Hex Nut
- Completely assembled GURU® Plug is leak tested
- 100% Final pop test is completed
We also now offer a UTEX program:
- Purchase orders of 50 pieces or less will be processed upon receipt of the order
- The cores will still need to be returned to us and we will continue to monitor for any damaged valves or discrepancies
GURU PC® valves, used to protect passenger cars from freeze damage, are also eligible for the GURU® Rebuild Program. Contact us for more information.